Conversion rate optimisation, CRO is one of the most overlooked services in the online marketing industry. Here at TOMC, we think that’s crazy! I mean, why go to all the effort (and expenditure) to get traffic to your website, without working on the conversion element?
Often we hear about people giving up on their marketing (or even business!) because “it’s just not working, we’re not getting the sales”. Many times it has nothing to do with how they’re getting the traffic, or their products / services, it’s purely their website / content.
So, what’s conversion rate optimisation all about?
Conversion rate optimisation is all about looking at the complete customer journey, including every digital element, start to finish. Finding out what works well and what could be turning customers off. Optimising the content to decrease the likelihood a customer will turn away or shop around.
So, conversion rate optimisation is guess work then?
No, not when managed correctly. TOMC’s conversion rate optimisation specialists are able to track user behaviour by implementing sophisticated behaviour triggers right through the website. This will provide the key data we need to know what the customer is looking at, what action they took and why they converted or didn’t convert. Then we adapt, develop and improve.
There are so many factors that play a part in any online experience, some of which include:
- Information clarity: Ensuring the website clearly explains what the customer is purchasing, leaving no excuses to doubt your product / service or shop around for more information.
- Up sells / cross sells: Implementing up sell / cross sell links at the correct points on the website. For example, adding links to another size of products near the sizing guide information. This way, if your product / service is suitable, we still have a chance of retaining the customer by direct them to other products.
- Technical performance: There is nothing worse than a poorly performing website. TOMC will identify where your website / content is performing poorly and take action to resolve the issues (including working with your payment processors).
- Mobile Device / Tablet Optimisation: Many studies have shown that the majority of internet activity is carried out on a handheld device (with exceptions to certain industries). If your website isn’t mobile friendly yet, you need to take action immediately. Contact one of our specialists who are able to run your website through our in-house compatibility testing software.
- Website structure: A great deal of thought and planning goes into building websites that work. Knowing the right places to put the right information. Offering your customer, the best possible experience. All key for conversion rate optimisation.